Sweet! We won the Shiki Shima lottery!

Japan has a number of fun, tourist-oriented excursion trains – vintage steam locomotives, open-air summer trains, Sanrio and anime-themed trains, and high-end luxury "cruise" trains.

Anpanman train!
Vintage steam locomotive!

A couple years ago, the latest and greatest version of the latter was announced – the four seasons Shiki Shima cruise train. Rather than relying on vintage looks, the Shiki Shima is boldly modern. There are two "cruises" you can take – a 2 day and a 4 day. There's a view car, a gorgeous restaurant, a bar, and the entire train only holds 34 passengers!

UPDATE: our trip report from this amazing journey is here!


View car

Given that Japan is a nation of train nerds, demand was insane despite the sky-high prices. They implemented a lottery system for people hoping to buy tickets. With both of our 50th birthdays coming up, I decided to enter for a shot at this amazing experience. I've been on pins and needles for the past 3 months, but the email arrived a couple of days ago:

I had originally planned to keep this a surprise, but given the vast number of moving parts involved (the largest being a time off request to my husband's boss), it just seemed easier to surprise him a few months early:
Ta da! A Shiki Shima model wrapped in a train-themed furoshiki

One of the sweet things that sticks with me from Ben Schlappig's early days of blogging was his story about wanting to surprise his mother with a trip that began on her birthday. My memory of the story has her saying essentially, "Surprising me would have been a terrible idea! It would have robbed me of half of the joy of a great trip: the months of anticipation!" Welp, now we both get to have 7 months of excitement while we wait.

For now, it's time to figure out the flights! (Update: done!) A few things have changed since my last Asia trip-planning:
I'll do a separate post with my actual flight planning. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway