I saved $400 on a domestic flight by BUYING Amex points

I needed to go from NYC to Louisville, KY and I couldn't find dates and times on the direct flight I wanted for less than $735 in Economy. I looked at other options, but even a 2 stop itinerary at crappy flight times was still well north of $500.

Direct domestic flights to smaller airports are always ghastly expensive

I poked around a bit on British Airways' website and found a great 15,000 point option for a direct American Airlines flight with exactly the dates and times I wanted. But there was one small problem: my BA and Amex point balances were both near zero.

That's more like it!

Looooove that transfer bonus

I'd read recently that Amex started selling Membership Rewards points again (they'd stopped for a while) so I called in to inquire about buying some. The agent informed they're 2.5¢ each and there's an annual cap on how many you can buy. He also told me you can only do this by phone and only as part of an actual points transfer to an airline that the Amex rep initiates for you.

You have to call in to buy


With that awesome 40% transfer bonus happening right now, I only needed 11,000 miles for this trip, so $275 was charged to my card and my points appeared over on BA.com moments later. $275 is a vastly more reasonable price for this flight than $735.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway