Warning: new Uber payment bucket breaks Amex Platinum credits

While I do love me a good Amex Offer as much as the next person, I despise how they rely on "breakage" for so many of their card benefits – i.e., they intentionally erect flaming hoops customers have to jump through with the hope that most people won't be bothered.

The Platinum card's Uber benefit is a prime example – a $15 credit (with a one-month expiration date) is added to your account at the beginning of each month. Since upgrading to the platinum six-ish months ago, I've had nothing but trouble trying to use this credit. Considering many people only use Uber for expensive rides to the airport, i'd vastly prefer a $90 credit every six months to this ridiculous setup.

(Sidenote: since you can only use this Uber credit for rides in the US, I'd prefer it be a Lyft credit)

UPDATE (25 Oct '18): Ugh, it's worse than I initially thought. Uber required me to "top off" my Uber Cash account with $25 because my estimated ride cost exceeded the amount in my Cash account. Now I'm always going to have a remaining balance hanging out in there.
Grr!
I'll spare you my tale of white lady woe and just warn you that they recently made another big change that thwarted me yet again – they added a payment option called "Uber Cash", which seems to be a bucket for credits and gift cards.

This is the new bucket


Of course, though, they didn't default payment to it, instead it defaulted to my credit card…

On THIS screen change the payment option to Uber Cash

…so of course my first ride in October is charged to my card rather than taken from my free credit. 

it's an amalgamation of credits and gift cards

I've found Uber's support to be hit-and-miss when I've had to contact them. One thing I will say is that they seem adamant that they cannot change the payment method retroactively no matter how much you ask. So make sure you check your payment option for you next Uber ride!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway