Hooray! Amex Rose Gold card counts my local greengrocer as "Supermarket"!

After upgrading my Gold card to Platinum at the beginning of this year, I was actually sorta bummed that I no longer had a card that got me a bonus on groceries. I did the math and we spend around $8,000 a year on groceries, and that's a decent amount of points to leave on the table by not earning some kind of multiplier.

Then Amex "rebooted" the Gold card to help it compete with the Chase Sapphire line and they added a 4x bonus on "Supermarkets". Lots of the professional bloggers were sloppily reporting that this as a "groceries" category, even though the Terms and Conditions explicitly mention that there's no bonus at Costco or other warehouse clubs. I don't shop at those kinds of places, instead I try my hardest to buy everything at our local neighborhood gem, Essex Market. This place is the heart and soul of Manhattan's Lower East Side, and I love supporting the small Dominican and Chinese grocers under its roof. There's no way I would start shopping at the local Whole Foods just for a stinking points bonus.
 
I just checked the online account and luckily my favorite grocer falls under Amex's 4x "supermarkets" category! Very happy about this!

UPDATE: Union Market also codes as 4x (it's a local chain that's somewhere between a bodega and a supermarket), as does Formaggio Essex, MaxDelivery, Trader Joes, H Mart and Kossar's Bialys and Bagels. Sadly, Russ and Daughters, Boxed.com, and Jet.com do NOT get the 4x.

The other cool thing I noticed is that Amex is "picking up the tip" for dining, so my statement is littered with lots of 20% refunds on all of my dining. The maximum rebate is $100 and we'll hit that easily within the 3 month time limit. If you're interested in this card, pretty please use our referral link so we can all get some bonus points out of the deal!


Check that 4x!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway