Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

(updated Apr 2024)

I love Washlet bidet toilets. I've had one in my house since my first visit to Japan 20 years ago and I love it when my hotel room or my plane has one. And it's not just me, the NYTimes wrote about them, and several competing brands have appeared in the US in recent years.

If you want a Washlet in the sky, you don't have much of a choice – only ANA and JAL have them, and only in the premium cabins. (I think they have an exclusive arrangement with Toto, as we've not seen the Washlet appear even in the super luxurious middle eastern airlines that have butlers and onboard showers). 

ウォシュレット!

But what about hotels? As the spokesmodel in this commercial says, "I can't go on vacation anymore". A few of us were discussing this the other day and I said that yes, in fact, the presence of a Washlet would be a slam dunk for me when choosing a hotel. So I went poking around to find places outside of Japan that have them and started to compile this list. Please message me if you know one that should be added to the list!

Quick tip: it's a good idea to VERIFY with the hotel that they actually have a Washlet in the room you're booking – often they'll only have Washlets in the Suites. This list is a starting point, not a guarantee. 

There's also a Japanese database for this, but they stopped updating it in mid-2019. Check it out! (use the auto-translate feature in your browser)

Hotels with Washlets (ウォシュレット完備の海外ホテル特集)


The Americas (East)
The Americas (West)
Asia
In Singapore, the Philippines, and the middle east you might encounter the "bum gun" attached to the toilet – it's basically kitchen sink sprayer that lets you do the washing manually. If you've never used one before, I definitely recommend trying it out naked in your hotel room to get a little practice and muscle memory. (It's easy to spray water everywhere…)
Europe
  • TOTO has a "References" page of their marquee European hotel customers as well as restaurants so you can try before you buy. 

TIP: If you go to Trip Advisor to look at a hotel, you can click 'Room and Suite' and then click 'Bathroom' to check out visitor photos before you book 



Hello Kitty Washlet!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway