Warning: Do not refill your Uber Cash balance abroad

During our month in Mexico City, I refilled my Uber Cash balance several times. Now that I'm back in the states, my Uber Cash balance has two entries: one for US Dollars, and one for Mexican Pesos. For the life of me I cannot seem to make Uber spend any of those Pesos for trips here in NYC.




I just finished speaking with Uber customer service and they confirmed for me that this is, in fact, the expected behavior – the virtual purse of Pesos is accessible only when I'm in Mexico. Given the way that Uber Cash works, it's nearly impossible to ever empty the balance down to zero. So if you travel abroad and use Uber Cash, I guess you'll just eventually accumulate a bunch of virtual foreign currency that Uber will hold on to indefinitely. If you'd like to avoid that situation, select a payment method other than Uber Cash when you pay for trips in other countries.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway