My settlement check (cheque?) from British Airways finally came!

I mentioned last June that I'd elected to get money instead of miles as part of the British Airways class action lawsuit. I'd gotten so nervous it wasn't going to come that I talked to Ben Schlappig of One Mile At A Time to see if he'd gotten his yet, and he hadn't.

I'm happy to report that we've both received our checks now. As I understand it, the suit hinged on the idea they called their surcharges "fuel surcharges", when in fact they had nothing to do with fuel prices. People who booked reward tickets during the time frame where they were using the misleading name were offered the choice between money and miles as compensation. In my case, $278 is worth a lot more to me than 12,500 BA points.

Sadly, BA still has their criminally-high surcharges, but since they have a less deceptive name now, they seem to think it's ok. I don't. I ditched my BA card years ago because of them. About the only time using their points is worth it is for partner redemptions where the surcharges are reasonable (like this, or this).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway