REMINDER: cheap off-seaon reward tickets on ANA

One of my besties (who I sorta helped get on board the points train) just bragged to me that she scored a round-trip Economy ticket on ANA from NYC to Okayama (Japan) via Tokyo for 40,000 points!

Fukushima in mid-April
I had completely forgotten about this sweet spot in their reward chart40,000 miles for Low Season round-trip in Economy, and 75k or 150k for Business and First, respectively. Better still, you can do an open-jaw itinerary for the same amount (e.g., fly in to Tokyo, fly home from Fukuoka).

While Low Season travel in January or February doesn't sound very fun unless you're a skier, note that a big chunk of April is also considered Low Season. Yes, you'll likely miss the sakura cherry blossoms in Tokyo, but a quick hop on the Shinkansen northward can put you right in the middle of peak blossoms. Sendai, Fukushima, Aomori, and Akita are all great choices for mid-April viewing.

ANA has better than average legroom in Economy (34" vs 31 or 32") and their service and food are top-notch in all 3 cabins. My friend who scored this deal infamously said years ago, "I'd rather fly ANA or JAL in Economy than United in Business Class!" I don't know that I'd go that far, but her point is well made.

I flew ANA in First, and it's unquestionably the best in-flight experience I've ever had. Considering I spent 110,000 points one way to do it, 150k round trip is a bargain. It's not quite as good as the Virgin "trick" that the big travel bloggers have all but ruined, but it's still 70k cheaper than using United Miles.

American Express Premier Rewards points transfer to ANA at a 1:1 ratio. Starwood is also a transfer partner, but their points can take over a week to transfer.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway