Changing a PlusPoints flight without having to call

This one definitely falls under the category of "if I don't make a note to myself right now, I'm going to immediately forget how to do this next time."

It's a super-specific problem: 

  • I have a flight leg with a confirmed 40 PlusPoint upgrade into Polaris. 
  • I need to change this leg to a different day/time. 
  • I know that my new flight has PlusPoints ✅ instant-upgrade seats available. (I used Seats.aero and then manually verified the availability on United.com)
  • I'm using United.com to change my flight and the search results only show me one option: a deeply-discounted fare + 80 PlusPoints to upgrade
  • I would prefer an option with a less-discounted fare that only requires 40 PlusPoints
  • I would prefer not to call United to have them sort this out. (In my case, the Australian United phone center is only open normal business hours, not 24/7)
The solution:
  • Change the flight on United.com (from a desktop browser) and manually set the 'Search by Fare class' field to: W, V, Q, H, U, E
  • The resulting search results will now have a new column called "Requested Fare Class" that will only show fares that are upgradeable with 40 PlusPoints versus 80.
  • After the new ticket is issued, use the Upgrade Cabin button in the My Flights view to apply the PlusPoints to the new trip











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway