saving money with Ebates hotels

I've posted before about my general feeling about hotels. The short version is that I don't really like western "posh" hotels because they're expensive and yet they still don't offer the amenities I actually want: 
  • in-room espresso
  • a Toto Washlet in the room
  • a free, communal hot spring bath that's open late so I can soak my feet after a long day of sightseeing
  • liquor vending machine so I don't have to pay $47 (and wait 45 minutes) for two gin and tonics from room service
  • on-site laundry machines
In other words, I'm annoyed that Japanese businessman hotel mainstays like APA and Dormy Inn are (largely) only in Japan.

When I do have to stay at a western hotel I generally try to save some money or at least snag some bonus points. There are a lot of ways to do that – search with Rocketmiles, look for Amex offers, use Hotels.com's "say 10 nights, get one night free", etc. On our recent trip to Israel, though, I tried a new way and it worked out well for me.

We really wanted to stay in a fairly specific part of Tel Aviv and there were mostly just local, non-chain boutique hotels. I remembered seeing a promo for Ebates hotels in my email so I decided to search their portal and the place we really wanted to stay was part of their cash-back program. We booked it, enjoyed our stay, and I was pleasantly surprised when I got a $137 kickback to my credit card for a $780 hotel stay. I've noticed that with Rocketmiles, often the hotel price is inflated on their site by more than the value of the bonus miles they were offering me. I comparison shopped the very same room and found Ebates didn't seem to be charging a premium at all.

Next time you're hotel shopping, you might want to give this a try if your normal options all look grim.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway