Don't pay in US Dollars

As part of our spring trip to Warsaw, we're heading to Israel. Yes, Israel. It's a 3.5 hour flight and several carriers offer direct service. Given Warsaw's history and dynamic economy, their airports offer a really unique list of destinations with direct service. (The list gets even more interesting if you add in Ryanair's terminal at Modlin, 35km outside the city.)

After looking over the prices, schedules, and amenities of the options, we decided to fly Polish low cost carrier Wizzair. During the final checkout page I noticed that there were two buttons: one to pay in Złoty, the other to pay in US Dollars. A quick check on Google revealed that I'd be paying nearly $30 extra if I did the latter. (I've since checked my credit card online to verify the savings).

I paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve because it has no foreign transaction fees (FTFs), earns 3x points for travel, and has excellent travel insurance. If I'd used a credit card with FTFs, the ≈3% charge would have made this a wash.

Ergo, if you have a credit card with no foreign transaction fees (FTFs), always do the math on which currency is best to pay with.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway