2017 Points Roundup

Looking back on 2017, the travels we got to take were truly the bright spots in a pretty depressing year. It also makes me grateful for the health and prosperity that allows us to travel. I started this blog in 2013 largely because I wanted to share the knowledge I'd gained about traveling for less (well, and also as a hedge against my own senility – I seriously forget the details of how we did some of these trips and this gives me a place to look that up!)

The most common question I get from people is "yes yes, but how are you making all of those miles?" Here's a breakdown of where my points came from this year:

Total: ≈ 408,000 points

  • Given that I was above 5/24 for most of the year, I only got one credit card signup bonus, 40,000 for an SPG Amex (including my referral bonuses)
  • Spending on my Chase Sapphire was 87,000 (90% of my spending was in their bonus categories of Dining and Travel)
  • Work and personal Amex Spending was 182,000 (39,000 of which was Amex Offers bonuses)
  • 7000 points from Delta new partner and AirBnB bonuses
  • Paid flying was 56,000 miles across several airlines. Given that I only took two points flights all year, I thought this number would be higher.
  • United mileage shopping was 20,000
  • Alaska airlines shopping bonuses was 14,000
  • United Mileage Dining was 2,000
points breakdown

 

Looking ahead to 2018

🛫 keep working those bonus categories – groceries and airfare for Amex, dining and travel for Chase
🛫 keep my eye on those Amex, Chase, and shopping portal bonus offers – they made me more points than all of my flying!
🛫 sign up for one (or two?) new credit cards for the bonus points
🛫 stay a "free agent" and not chase any kind of loyalty with a single airline.
🛫 probably pay for a lot of my trips (instead of using points) because between the occasional good deals on cash fares and so many point devaluations by the airlines, it's tough to score a points flight where I get more than 2¢ each for them.
🛫 save my points for a bigger, aspirational flight. The new Singapore First Suites or their Business Class double bed would be cool. So would the upcoming Newark-Singapore flight on the A350-ULR
🛫 don't allocate all of our annual vacation days to one monolithic trip so we have the chance to be more spontaneous when there's a cheap fare
🛫 try to get on an A350 since I've not flown one yet




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway