Yelp cashback

I pretty much despise Yelp. They have a shady history of shaking down businesses to force them to purchase ads in exchange for removing bad reviews and un-hiding good ones. I also dislike the whiny, entitled princess culture it's evoked from much of the dining public. So I can't believe I'm sitting here about to shill something they're doing but here goes... Yelp cashback has finally given me something I've been unsuccessfully trying to get for years: a way to get a bonus on discount liquor purchases.

Yes, I realize that in other parts of the country there are good options for scoring points and cashback on liquor. Yes, there are lots of ways to get points/cashback for high-markup liquor purchases (Drizzly liquor delivery, for example). But I'm not going schlep halfway across town or pay 25+% more money for a bottle of liquor just so I can get 3x points.

No, what I was hoping for was a card with a category bonus so I could make 2 or 3x points at the discount liquor store right next to my apartment. As of last month, Yelp cashback appears to be exactly that solution.

Much to my surprise, I'm now getting 5% back at my local liquor store!

I've mentioned Yelp cashback before, and to paraphrase myself: I hate point schemes that involve a ton of work. Luckily, this one is pretty simple: enroll your credit card in their program and any time you eat at a participating restaurant (or shop at a participating business) you earn cashback (up to 10%). Setting up your cards for this takes a couple of minutes and you never really have to mess with it again. No referral links, no apps, no coupons, no hokey gift cards as rewards, no BS – just cash rebated directly to your credit card, automatically.

On top of the rewards I'm looking forward to at the liquor store, I love the pleasant surprise when you earn cashback rewards without even trying: just yesterday I'd gone to a random Irish Pub in Times Square and had $6 rebate sitting in my inbox when I got home.

Yelp's IT team recently added an interface to the main airline mileage dining programs to prevent people from "double-dipping" and getting rewards from both systems with a single purchase – it's one or the other now.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway