Getting our Australia tickets refunded

In early January we bought tickets for an April trip to Australia through American Express Travel. With all of the Covid-19 lockdowns around the globe, it slowly became clear our trip wasn't going to happen. Given that half the planet was trying to call in and cancel or move their trips, I decided to wait until about a week before my trip was scheduled to begin.

Amex's phone lines were an absolute mess. I waited over an hour only to be disconnected. Twice. I tried using their web chat client and the people staffing it weren't allowed to do any kind of booking-related changes. I was starting to get nervous because Qatar was still operating a few of its flights but I knew Australia had closed its borders. I was afraid that if Qatar didn't actually cancel the flight, I'd be on the hook for it and not get my money back.

At some point I noticed that my email confirmation had an entirely different phone number to call than the website. I'd been calling 1-800-297-2977, but in the PDF confirmation in my email it told me to call 1-800-443-7672. Apparently it was telling me to use this number because I'd used one of their Platinum Travel Counselors to book my trip. (Quick sidenote: the only reason I'd done that is because their website kept erroring out on the final step of booking through the web interface).

When I called that number I immediately got through to an agent. She canceled my tickets and told me the refund would take about 10 weeks. It took 10 days. I have no idea if that line had vastly shorter queues throughout the entirety of March, but I'm grateful I didn't have to spend a third hour on hold again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway