Surprise domestic lie-flats outside the normal NYC-SFO/LAX routes

We're repeating last year's holiday routine this year – from New York to Phoenix, then to Portland, then back to New York. We fly Economy domestically most of the time, but during the holidays it's so crazy that we usually spring for First just to avoid some of the mayhem that comes with winter holidays and airports.

New York to LA and SF have their glamorous Mint and P.S. planes, but most other west coast cities generally have normal domestic recliners in First. Then there's the added annoyance that nearly all of the eastbound flights are redeyes, and since I'm a very light sleeper, I despise redeyes unless I can lay down.

But in all of this poking around for holiday flights I found two interesting ones I didn't know existed:
  • A United 757 with lie-flat seats to Phoenix (flight 230 leaving JFK at 19:30) 
  • A Delta 757 with lie-flats on a direct flight from PDX to JFK (flight 1756 at 12:49). Near as I can tell, this flight is seasonal.



I logged on to Delta.com to double-check that this was, in fact, a lie-flat seat, and it is. They were asking a hefty points premium to book this particular flight as well (60,000 miles per person, one way). While this would be perfect for one of those redeye flights, Delta doesn't operate one on the Portland – JFK route. I still had $450 worth of gift cards to burn through (from my story on The Points Guy and from my Amex travel credit), so that made the price seem almost reasonable.

While we decided to just fly JetBlue out to Phoenix, if we ever did this trip in the reverse direction, I'd be totally up for taking United's 6am lie-flat back to New York (6:05 am, flight 970). Getting up at 4am would be annoying, but we could just sleep the whole way home.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway