55,000 bonus miles from Amex for a 5 minute online chat

The Amex Platinum has gotten better since the last time I wrote about retention bonuses, but the fee has also gone up, too. 

I'd heard that they were now allowing you to request a retention bonus via the online chat app on their website so I gave that a try. Long story short, after 5 minutes of chatting in my web browser with a rep, my card has a "spend $4000 in 90 days, get 55,000 points" bonus/challenge on it. 

It seemed like the rep was required to inform me about all of the new options on the card that made it worth the annual fee, but I just politely said things like "well, I don't actually use that very much" to each of the things they rattled off. After about a minute of that they sent me the spending challenge retention bonus, which I had to officially consent to. 

We're definitely planning on doing that much spending in the next couple of months, so we're not going to need to do anything crazy to meet that goal. Yes, I could have just gotten a whole new card that would have gotten me more than 55,000 points for spending $4000, but I don't really enjoy juggling lots of open cards. Furthermore, I'm on-track to make the annual $75,000 spending goal to retain my guesting privileges at Centurion clubs, so I'll worry about new cards once I hit that. 

Keep in mind, they'll try to claw back the points if you cancel the card within 12 months of getting this bonus, and they won't offer you another one until at least 12 months after this one.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan